Wednesday, March 3, 2010

In_JOY my Hay House Book Review | The Shift by Wayne Dyer

Wayne Dyer was one of the first spiritual teachers that eased me onto my conscious path with his recording 101 Ways to Enlightenment. Over ten years ago, I too I was searching for some of the big answers, "Why am I here? What is my purpose?" I had no idea that those questions were the same shift Wayne Dyer speaks about as you move from what he calls, "the morning of your life into the afternoon." As we move from the morning of life, accumulating, striving after and never being satisfied, we all have the opportunity to make the shift into the afternoon. It is in this space that our life becomes about serving others and letting go of EGO which no longer serves the higher self.

When Hay House sent me his latest book, The Shift, I wondered how he'd create the same magic that he had captured in the movie version. Usually, the movie is never as good as the book. But in this case the book follows the movie and I must admit I was a bit disappointed, feeling the book was not even close to the mood and surprisingly good acting he was able to capture in the movie. When my husband asked how the reading was going, I shrugged and gave the so-so sign. Perplexed, he asked how could Wayne Dyer be so-so? He knows how much I love and respect him. We even have an awesome picture at a Wayne Dyer book signing where the camera caught Wayne and us laughing in a group hug!

This is where my experience with this story starts to get good. Any time I put up those old blinders means I know I am in for another shift myself. Reading a few chapters further, my mind opened, like a flower opening to the sun. Our need to simplify our lives, the need of materialistic "stuff," the search for more meaning to our lives is explained as beautifully as in the movie. "The ego insists on pursuing more: more stuff, accomplishments, status, triumphs, and money. More is the mantra of the ego, fueling endless striving with a false promise of eventually arriving." It was just what I needed to hear at the time as I am also having more opportunities for teaching, travel and experiencing all that I have been striving for. This book helped me to let go of the out come of all of my goals, creating a space for the Divine to come in. The more we let go, the more we can create opportunities for the Divine to shine, creating miracles in our every day life.


This book is broken into four parts: From, Ambition, To, Meaning. Dr. Dyer's teachings (mostly Taoist) of transformation are based off of each word from the title to help us understand the true meaning of where we came from, how the ego is involved, the opportunity to make a turn around and finally living a life filled with purpose and meaning.


Wayne also offers practical exercises to breaking ego's attachments, including cleaning out garages, cupboards and closets. "If they haven't been used in the past twelve months, they belong elsewhere." Wayne explains further, "Most stress results from hanging onto beliefs that keep us striving for more, because ego stubbornly refuses to believe we don't need something. " This advice inspired me to clean out closets and cupboards, letting go of what is not used and sending it off to our local Good Will. With this practice, the need to hold onto or look for meaning in what I HAVE is replaced with the opportunity to experience freedom and lightness.

I enjoyed the honor of reviewing this free book from Hay House,
Many Blessings,
Sarah


Hay House http://www.hayhouse.com/details.php?id=4672&utm_id=3313

Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Shift-Taking-Your-Ambition-Meaning/dp/1401927092/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265149999&sr=8-2

Barnes&Noble http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Shift/Wayne-W-Dyer/e/9781401927097/?itm=8&USRI=the+shift

No comments:

Post a Comment